Our project Lambahoany
Centre Lambahoany pursues the following objectives
- Poverty reduction through the creation of additional employment and creation of the conditions for entrepreneurship of the rural population
- Sustainable development through self-organisation and capacity building of the local population
- Protection of biodiversity, nature and preventing climate change
- Improving the efficiency of local agricultural practices and preventing slash-and-burn practices
- Improving the health condition of rural population by promoting access to clean drinking water and medical services and providing access to sustainable energy services.
- Preserving the unique local culture.
The project contributes to the following Millennium Development Goals
- Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger. The aim of the project is to provide the participating villages with an additional income from eco-tourism services and urban population with employment at the Centre.
- Promote gender equality and empower women. The training and sport programme will focus on women and urban youth
- Reduce child mortality. The villages will be provided with a facility for safe drinking water and electricity for the health post.
- Achieve universal primary education. Providing the village with sustainable solar electricity will provide more lighting in the evening hours in the schoolroom, and increase the time for study and education
- Ensure environmental sustainability. The villager are motivated to replace the unsustainable agricultural practices by those which do not threaten the natural parks in Toamasina. Furthermore, sustainable energy is promoted through demonstration